York's Local List

ACOMB

Site Address Date Description
Poppleton Gate House Millgates
View on map
1849 Constructed as a gentleman’s residence originally called Acomb Park House, it comprised two floors with five bay windows and is structurally unaltered externally. The coach house is still in its original form. At one time it was the BIG house in Acomb with grounds stretching down to the river. Once used as a hospital/nursing home, it is now partitioned into apartments.
The Marcia Grey Public House 24 Front Street
View on map
c.1900 A purpose-built public house replacing an earlier pub on the same site. Formerly the Grey Mare, from at least 1817 to 1898 it was then known as The Marcia after a favourite York racehorse. For a short time it was known as The Poacher. For decades it provided the base for a range of sporting clubs and teams in Acomb, and thus provides a strong link with the social history of the village. It provides a notable architectural feature in Front Street

BISHOPTHORPE

Site Address Date Description
31-35 Main Street 31 Main Street
Bishopthorpe
View on map
18/19th century Village butcher's shop and house with ancillary buildings, including slaughterhouse. Of 18th and 19th century with later alterations. Included because of its location in the middle of the village which gives character to the conservation area and as a valued local amenity. It is also of interest as a rare survival of a long established butchers business in the village.
No 8, 10, 12, First School House 8 School Lane
Bishopthorpe
View on map
1763 Originally one building of brick and slate containing the school and schoolmasters house. Now with some 20c addition, 3 dwellings. Of historic and educational importance. Archbishop Drummond’s visitation returns show a school house erected by John Crosby. Shown on O.S. maps of 1832, 1846 & 1891 as a free standing building. A conveyance of 1892 from the Archbishop of York to R. Horner, builder, has a plan drawing of the building. On construction of Archbishop Harcourt’s school this first school was used as a girl’s school and house for the master and mistress. The girl’s school became necessary as the number of village children grew and parents were encouraged to educate their daughters. Also used as a reading room from 1890.
The Archbishop of York School School Lane
Bishopthorpe
View on map
1846 Of historic importance at a significant position on the main approach to Bishopthorpe from the A64. Built by Archbishop Harcourt and used as a school until 1967. now has considerable community use for play group, various school clubs and scouts

CLIFTON

Site Address Date Description
Electrobus station Clifton Green
View on map
Link with the past history of York’s transport system, possibly originally for battery charging. Also used at one time as a public toilet block and now a barber's shop called "The Gents"
Bowls Pavilion Clarence Gardens
View on map
1913 Probably designed by the City Engineer. Included in the list because it has been a valued and useful amenity in Clarence Gardens for many years; and because it forms an attractive and appropriate focal point characteristic of its time.
Bowls Pavilion Glen Gardens
View on map
c1913 Pre 1st World War, probably designed by the City Engineer. A valued and useful amenity in the Gardens for many years. It forms an attractive and appropriate focal point characteristic of its time.
Bert Keech Bowling Club Sycamore Place
View on map
1949 Listed because of its association with a “larger than life” York character and its benefit to the community as a green area with Social and Sporting amenity. At risk, bowling club shut down and land sold by founders son for development in 2008
Football Ground Grosvenor Road
View on map
York City Football Club, Bootham Crescent. Scene of many glorious moments and some controversy. Visited by generations of the same family supporters over the years. Part of the history of York City Football Club and a community sporting asset. Likely to be sold for housing development when the new City Stadium is built.
The Garth, St. Olaves Road 2 St. Olaves Road, Bootham
View on map
1886 Private residence, originally known as Low Royd. Built for Mr. H M Platnauer, Keeper of the Yorkshire Museum, and probably designed by James Demaine, older partner in the architectural firm of Demaine and Brierley. In 1905 a new wing, designed by Walter Brierley, was added to the original house. Included because it is the work of two highly regarded architects, of whom Brierley is Nationally recognised; because the 1905 wing retains exceptionally fine fixtures and fittings designed by Brierley; also for its connection with a local personality prominent in the late Victorian cultural life of the City; and for its contribution to the street scene of St. Olaves Road.
Yearsley Pool Haley’s Terrace
View on map
1908 Built by Rowntree & Co in 1908 and gifted by deed to the citizens of York on 4th May 1909. It replaced an old bath in the River Foss downstream of Yearsley Bridge. The new pool was originally open-air. The facility was modernised in 1964/5 when it was roofed over. However the pool tank is relatively unaltered and the poolside cubicles retain many original features. Yearsley Pool epitomises the ‘best of the old’, embodying a time of sound construction, good materials, and pragmatic design combined with a respect for the aesthetic. It serves as a memorial to an era when paternalistic civic pride in local amenities was not uncommon. It provides an important contribution to the community’s well being.
Joseph Rowntree Memorial Library Haxby Road
View on map
1927/8 By Colin Rowntree - Understand this is now Grade II Listed
Shipton Street School Shipton Street
View on map
1890 Excellent early work by W. H. Brierley, red brick with stepped and shaped gables. HER No MYO422 EH listed, should not be on Local List

OSBALDWICK AND DERWENT

Site Address Date Description
Telephone Kiosks, Dunnington Common Road
Dunnington
View on map
1935 The red kiosks fit well with their surroundings and are examples of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's K6 design that is becoming increasingly rare.
Mounting Block, Dunnington kiln cottage
Dunnington
View on map
An interesting object of local and historical importance. Unique in the area.
The Greyhound Pub, Dunnington York Street
Dunnington
View on map
?19c An historically important building in the village conservation area. Adds visual attraction to the village centre and a social asset
Road Bridge, Dunnington York Street
Dunnington
View on map
1910/13 Brick, built over old rail track bed. Adds interest and character to access into village. Only remaining structure of the village’s association with the Derwent Valley Light Railway
Scout and Guide Building Garden Flats Lane
Dunnington
View on map
Early 20c Former telephone exchange in arts & crafts style, visually attractive. An important community facility.
Cross Keys Pub, Dunnington 3 Common Road
Dunnington
View on map
?19c Situated in the historic core of the village near the village cross. Valued as a historically important and attractive building
Metal Seat, Dunnington Common Road
Dunnington
View on map
Circular metal seat surrounding beech tree planted in 1935 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of George V. Adds character and interest to the village
Methodist Church, Dunnington Common Road
Dunnington
View on map
1868 Historically important, visually attractive building situated within the historic core of the village and recently established conservation area.
Large Barn, Dunnington Eastfield Lane
Dunnington
View on map
Early 19c This agricultural building sets an historic tone to the entry to the village from Church Balk. Of English garden wall brickwork it is a visible reminder of Dunnington’s farming past.
School Bell, Dunnington Petercroft Lane
Dunnington
View on map
?1836 Mounted on a wall near the roof of the new Doctor’s Surgery. An interesting piece of village history which adds character to the village setting
Dunlea & Virginia Cottages Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
19c Vernacular two storey detached cottages believed to have originally accommodated the gardener & groom at The Old Rectory. Local clamp brick walls with ‘tumbled gabling’. End and ridge clamp brick dentilled chimney stacks with tall plain fireclay pots. String course at first floor level raised brick verge at one gable. Brick-on-end lintels over openings. Exposed stone boulder foundations. Clay pantile roof. Wood casement windows (Dunlea) wood simulated vertical hung sash type windows (Virginia).
Laurel Cottage, Holtby Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular two storey detached house with dormer windows set half into roof space. Clamp brick walls and end dentilled chimney stacks. Dark grey Welsh slate roof.
Holtby House Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
1840/60 Large Polite two storey detached house in commanding position overlooking Main Street. Clamp brick walls with dressed stone sills and lintels. End and ridge dentilled brick chimney stacks with tall fireclay pots. Westmoreland slate roof. Cast iron gutters and rainwater pipes. Wood vertical hung sash windows for up to 12 small panes. Extensive range of original outbuildings including conservatory, two storey 18th C cottage, range of loose boxes with adjoining tack room, hay loft and coach house with many original fixtures and fittings. The courtyard, partly paved with York flagstones, has a mounting block of local clamp brick with flagstone steps, a large wall hung bell, street lamp and double entrance gates.
Poverty Farm, Holtby Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular two storey detached farmhouse in a prominent position overlooking Main Street. Local clamp brick with ‘tumbled gabling’, end dentilled brick chimney stacks with plain fireclay pots. Dentil course at eaves, rubbed brick-on-end lintels over openings. Raised brick verges with brick kneelers at eaves. Clay pantile roof. Wood vertical hung sash windows for 4 panes. Examples of original Yorkshire horizontal sliding sash windows in evidence. Farm buildings complex and extensive garden grounds to rear.
The Cottage, Holtby Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular two storey house occupied until 1866 by the victualler of the Duke of Wellington Pub. Local clamp brick with ‘tumbled gabling’ End and ridge dentilled brick chimney stacks with tall ornamental fireclay pots. Rubbed brick-on-end lintels. Roof dark grey Welsh slates. Wood vertical hung sash windows for 4 panes of glass. Rear outbuildings include a two storey cottage. Extensive grounds inc Public Path.
The Old Rectory Main Street East
Holtby
View on map
c1846 Polite two storey detached house designed by York architect G Townsend Andrews for the Rev T C Price. Clamp brick walls with end and ridge dentilled brick chimney stacks with tall plain fireclay pots. Brick-on-end lintels, projecting base course of brick, first floor string course and sandstone sills. Wood vertical hung sash windows for up to 12 panes of glass. Dark grey Welsh slate roof, cast iron gutters and fall pipes. Entrance porch with key stone, cope and parapet of dressed sandstone, enclosing wood painted door with12 small panes of glass and a fanlight with 4 panes. Extensive grounds including pond, paddocks and woodland beyond ‘ha-ha’ formed with clamp brick retaining wall.
Sycamore Cottage Main Street West
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular two storey detached cottage. Local clamp brick walls, end dentilled brick chimney stacks. Clay pantile roof. Vertical hung sash windows
Rose Cottage, Holtby Main Street West
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular two storey detached house. Clamp brick walls with one end dentilled chimney stack. Casement windows.
Weir House Holtby Lane
Holtby
View on map
Vernacular ‘double pile’ two storey detached house with rear wing. Clamp brick walls, end dentilled chimney stacks. Brick-on-end lintels over openings. Casement windows with up to 6 small glass panes, including random examples of bottle glass in each. Extensive garden grounds and paddock area to rear.
Village Pumps Main Street
Holtby
View on map
Two boxed pumps are preserved in Main Street as a reminder that this was a means of providing a safe and reliable water supply to the village prior to piped supplies in the 1950’s
Village Pump
Holtby
View on map
1837 A country pump which supplied both the house and a large cattle trough until the 1960’s. It is embossed ‘1837-BA Esq’ the landowner being Benjamin Agar.
Post Box, Holtby Main Street
Holtby
View on map
Victorian Set in clamp brick boundary wall of Holy Trinity Church, embossed Crown and ‘VR’
Phone Box, Holtby Main Street
Holtby
View on map
Early example of red GPO telephone box embossed Crown on each face, still in use
Signposts, Holtby Main Street
Holtby
View on map
Pre war Cast iron, black and white, round plate on top embossed ‘Yorks North Riding C C’ each showing direction and distance to next villages and to York.

DRINGHOUSES AND WOODTHORPE

Site Address Date Description
Ashfield House 159 Tadcaster Road
View on map
c1850 One of two remaining large Victorian properties in Dringhouses (there were originally four).Possibly by A J Penty. Home at different times to both the Swann and Lycett Green families. Of significant style including the Fox weather vane, with many intact internal features.
Aldersyde Cottage & Stable Cottage Aldersyde
Dringhouses
View on map
1895 Aldersyde House is EH listed. The two cottages have the same architectural features, weather vane , windows, chimneys etc. and are probably by the same architects, Penty & Penty
Dringhouses Primary School St. Helen’s Road
Dringhouses
View on map
1903/4 Designed by W H Brierley (12 drawings in the Borthwick Institute). A very important building in the life of many local people.
1, St Helen's Road 1, St. Helen's Road
Dringhouses
View on map
c 1910 Built originally as the club house for Knavesmire Golf Club. It retains its original veranda and long room at the front of the building
Fox & Roman Public House and outbuildings (originally The Fox) Tadcaster Road
View on map
1900 There has been a pub on this site since at least 1822. The present building by Samuel Needham still retains external and internal original features, an important building contributing to the street scene on the approach to York. The outbuildings, formerly stables with original half doors, are an important relic of the time when Dringhouses was important in the racing and hunting worlds. A well used local amenity.
Cross Keys Public House – Outbuildings 32 Tadcaster Road
View on map
Early 18c Remains of once extensive stabling. Evidence of the importance of Dringhouses to the racing world. There has been an inn on this site since before 1250
Springbank, 128 Tadcaster Road 128 Tadcaster Road
Dringhouses
View on map
1924 Built for Mr. T. Shouksmith by F. J. Penty, drawings in the Brierly Archive at the Borthwick Institute, ref:4/5. A house of real character.
Homewood, 40 The Horseshoe 40 The Horseshoe
View on map
1928 Built for W. T. Forsselius by Brierly and Rutherford. A house of real character.
Marriott Hotel (Swallows Hotel) Tadcaster Road
View on map
1876 The central section of the hotel was a house; The Hollies was built for John Close, a York businessman and Alderman, by the N. E. Railway who required the site of his original house for the new Railway Station. The rear garden contains elements of the original design with path edges and steps in wrought iron.
Part of St. Leonard’s Hospice 185 Tadcaster Road
View on map
Pre 1889 Ancillary building (cottage & stables) to the large Victorian house called ‘Dringthorpe’ demolished after WW II. Decorative barge boards, chimneys and porch.
Circular Iron Fence at St Leonard's Hospice 185 Tadcaster Road
View on map
Pre 1892 Surrounding a small stand of beech trees. Part of the original landscaping of Dringthorpe House.
Wind pump tower
View on map
19c Sole remaining structure from the days of brick making in Dringhouses. The tower and some internal planking survive beside Pearce’s Pond
Old Wall
Dringhouses
View on map
Boundary wall between the front gardens of these two houses. Constructed of brick and cobble, it is probably a remnant of an earlier building on the site. Of particular interest because of the rare use of cobbles as a building material in York.
No. 92 92 Tadcaster Road
Dringhouses
View on map
c1892 This detached house has square bay windows and extensive decorative tile-hanging. A good and rare example of this craft in Dringhouses.
Methodist Chapel
View on map
1896 Replaced an earlier chapel built in 1834, it was superceded as a place of worship in 1954. Although much altered (it is now a computer shop) it is still recognisable.. it was part of the social history of Dringhouses.
Racing Stables off Tadcaster Road
Dringhouses
View on map
1922/1930 Constructed by York Race Committee from 1922 to 1930 and still in use.There are four quadrangles of 48 stables each; two to the East designed by W. H. Brierley, 1929, (his only example of this type of building). One to the SW contains a bowling green used by Dringhouses Bowling Club opened by Noel Terry 1929. Some original fittings remain although most of the stable doors were replaced when Royal Ascot came to York. The stables were a designated mortuary in WW2, commemorated by a plaque. Of community value and historical significance. Mentioned by Pevsner p.258
Astonthorpe House, No.s 308-312
View on map
1901-1905 Traditional late Victorian town house, brick with stone mullioned windows. Has had sympathetic extensions and contains a notable staircase. Of pale brick with red brick dressings, is notable as a rare local example of the work of the Arts and Crafts architect Fred Rowntree of Scarborough, who later worked in London. These three houses are fine examples of turn of the century English domestic architecture. Together they mark the extension of the City of York adding dignity along the Tadcaster Road towards the village of Dringhouses
Knavesmire & Hob Moor boundary fence Tadcaster Road
View on map
This white painted secure boundary complete with wide gates and kissing gates has been part of the local scene for decades. Evidence of the former use of these parts of the stray for grazing.
No 1 Railway View Railway View
View on map
Originally The Turf tavern.
Floor of Old Chapel
View on map
?1745 This remnant of flooring, presumably dating from 1745 when the chapel was built is in the churchyard. The Chapel was replaced by the present church in 1849.
Group of cottages Old Moor Lane
View on map
19c This group includes the signalman’s cottage for the level crossing named “Chaloner Whin Gate” which used to cross Moor Lane. They are part of railway history as the road was realigned when Moor Lane railway bridge was built, leaving a cul-de-sac.

FISHERGATE

Site Address Date Description
The Gimcrack Hotel and Coach house Fulford Road
View on map
1850/1860 A mid-Victorian villa of white brick with hipped slate roof in a conservation area. Set back from the road and adding elegance to the street scene. Originally a private house called Ousefield which became a public house in 1936. This closed in 2002. Now converted to two private residences but retaining the previous elegance, with the pub sign retained but now renamed Fulford Chase showing its horse racing connection
Fishergate Post Office 115 Fulford Road
View on map
1930’s An unusual building of character more typically seen in S.E. England. An example of good mid 30’s architecture which makes a contribution to the local scene.
Tower House Fishergate
View on map
1878 Originally constructed for the War Office it still bears the inscription "Headquarters Northern Command" above the imposing main doorway. Of red brick, Tudor, symmetrical, but with a big corner with a pyramidal roof. The clock tower still retains the original winding gear. It lies on the site of a Roman burial ground. Currently used as a business centre.
Danesmead
View on map
1903 Brick with an array of vernacular and Georgian inspired detail by Brierley. Understand this is GII Listed, to remove from Local list
Ousefield House Fulford Road
York
View on map
1899 Brick with an array of vernacular and Georgian inspired detail by Brierley. Understand this is Listed Grade II and should not be on Local List
Fenby Field Cornwall Drive
View on map
1927 Originally purchased by NYCC as a school playing field used by both Fishergate and St. Georges schools, it has become an environmentally friendly rural park much appreciated for leisure and recreation by local people
Pipkins Nursery 79 Fulford Road
York
View on map
1879 Private residence incorporating an arcade formerly part of York Theatre Royal designed by John Harper in 1834 which was moved in 1879 when the Theatre Royal was remodelled. Of interest for this reason.
Alfreda, No 61 61 Heslington Lane
View on map
?1880’s Of historic interest to the community: home over the years to many civic leaders and a cabinet minister in Tony Blair’s first administration. Externally unaltered and a valuable contribution to the Fulford Conservation area street scene. Now sympathetically converted
Copper's Lodge
View on map
1880 Built for the East Riding Constabulary, it originally included a Charge-room, 3 cells and two dwelling houses for resident police officers. After 1884 it became the base for the Fulford fire engine. The building is representative of a crucial phase in the expansion of York during which the Imphal Barracks were enlarged (1877/80) and associated development along Fulford Road brought about its incorporation into the City of York in 1884. it is also a handsome building in its own right, and on its prominent corner site makes an important contribution to the local street scene.
Fairfax House 99 Heslington Road
View on map
1925/1933 Built as a nurses home for The Retreat by Chapman & Jenkinson, it is now student accommodation for the University of York. Tall pale brick ranges with darker brick dressings, William and Mary style with pedimented gables and round headed windows.
Alma Grove Alma Grove
View on map
1910 An early and important example of purpose built workers housing. Originally for York Corporation tram workers. York’s first council houses.
Old off licence Ambrose Street
Fishergate
View on map
About 1870 Purpose built as an off licence premises. Originally owned by Sml.Smith's brewery who sold the property in the 1950's. It is now divided into flats.
Water Gate
View on map
t Built in 1924 in rare late Tudor Revival Style, prominent on the river frontage because of its forward, elevated position. The design presents an asymmetrical arrangement of symmetrical parts, projecting eaves, fake timber framing, leaded lights and a steeply pitched roof, all contributing to a dramatic silhouette . Built on the site of the original coach house of the Grange it was extensively remodelled and modernised in 2006. This building is GII listed and must be removed from the LL
Beechwood House (Tower Vets) Fulford Road
View on map
c 1870 The most southerly of a series of imposing Victorian villas built on Fulford Road from 1867-1871. Almost square in shape, it has double bay windows facing the road with a further bay window and entrance facing south. First owned by Richard Jackson, a wool merchant and farmer originally from Cawood, in the late 19th and early 20th C it was the residence of the family of Isaac Poad a successful York provision merchant. His grain and seed business exists today as Isaac Poad & Sons Ltd. The house is now occupied by Tower Vets
Holly Lodge Hotel 204 Fulford Road
View on map
Grade II listed, should not be on Local List MYO1534
Christian Science Church Kilburn Road
View on map
1920’s A rare example in York of early 20th century church architecture. Demolition imminent Demolished June 2011 To be removed from list
Holly Croft
View on map
Mid 19c To be deleted unless more information is received. This building has no historic or architectural points of merit

FULFORD AND HESLINGTON

Site Address Date Description
Sir John Hunt Memorial Homes St Oswalds Road
View on map
1954 An attractive group of red brick and tile almshouses by Needham, Thorpe & White. Two storied with shaped gables, in terraces around three sides of an open square with smaller blocks behind. Set in a beautiful garden in a rural part of Fulford which provides an important transitional buffer between the village the urban Fishergate.
Fulford Social Hall School Lane
Fulford
View on map
Mid 19c Until 1930 this was a school. During the last war it was an ambulance station and first aid centre. The Parish Council then purchased it and carried out various repairs before it became a community social hall and library. It is well built with a beamed internal roof space and is used by the local community.

GUILDHALL

Site Address Date Description
Bile Beans Advt 18 Lord Mayor's Walk
View on map
Advertisement painted on the side elevation, indicating that: “Nightly BILE BEANS keep you Healthy, Bright-eyed and Slim”. Probably dates from the 1920’s. Included in the List as an example of early 20c advertising and as a colourful and valued contribution to the local street scene.
Botterill's Warehouse Tanner's Moat
View on map
c1880 Originally built by W G Penty to accommodate horses and carriages of country visitors to the City (especially members of the Yorkshire Club). Most of Botterill’s was demolished in the 1960’s and replaced by Leedhams Garage. The entrance block survives next to the Maltings pub and is included in the list as a reminder of the precursor of car parks and when colourful polychrome buildings were at the height of architectural fashion
Reynards Building Piccadilly
View on map
1921 Bus and trolley bus shed built 1921. After 1931 when it became too small for this purpose, it was leased to, and became the first premises of Airspeed Ltd., the aircraft manufacturing company founded by Nevil Shute. Here were manufactured the Tern glider and the Ferry passenger aircraft, and the Courier designed before the company moved to Portsmouth in 1933. The company was absorbed into de Havilland Aircraft Company in 1940. The building is included because of its close association with the beginnings of an important aircraft company which subsequently contributed much to the defence of the country during World War II The Council intend to sell this site for hotel development. Demolished December 2015
White Swan Hotel Piccadilly
View on map
1912 The hotel was built in 1912 when Piccadilly was created by opening up a gap in a row of medieval buildings linking Coppergate and Pavement. At that time the old White Swan was demolished and its name and function transferred to the new hotel built on the newly formed corner of Coppergate and Piccadilly. It directly marks an important improvement in the creation of the new street and is included in the list for that reason. It also fits well with the adjacent medieval buildings in Coppergate and into the Piccadilly street scene, occupying suitably the space for which it was designed. Renovation started 2014
Banana Warehouse 36 Piccadilly
View on map
1925 Fruit store with refrigerated storage and ripening room built for F T Burley, wholesale fruit merchants and banana specialists. Included in the local list because it represents the 20th Century development of Piccadilly and the River Foss as an industrial and commercial area. As the most recognisable Art Deco building in the City, it is one of a decreasing number of inter-war buildings in York, making a colourful contribution to the Piccadilly street scene.
Minster Inn 24 Marygate
View on map
1903 Public house by Samuel Needham for Tadcaster Tower Brewery. A fine example of a purpose-built Edwardian pub, with its three original rooms preserving their bench seating and other original features. It is on CAMRA’S List of Historic Pubs in York.
Splash Palace Parliament Street
york
View on map
?1989 York’s very own Clochmerle. Externally quite a pleasing little building but unsuitable for the use to which it was put. Would be ideal as an addition to York’s market if this ever returns to Parliament Street, or as a small exhibition area or bandstand. Demolished March 2012

HAXBY AND WIGGINGTON

Site Address Date Description
Memorial Hall
View on map
1876 Village school and schoolmasters house built in 1876. It served as the village school until 1954 when it was replaced by the Ralph Butterfield school. At this time it became the village hall and was renamed Haxby Memorial Hall to commemorate the dead of two World Wars. It is important for its contribution to the variety of the village street scene and is one of the individually important buildings identified in the Conservation Area description of Haxby. Included in the list for these reasons; and also as a memorial to those from Haxby lost in two World Wars; for being a tangible link with the Victorian history of the village; and for its place in the social history of the village, recalled with affection and valued by many who attended when still a school.
Wind Pump 103 York Road
Haxby
View on map
A 20 feet high brick structure with remains of woodwork and iron machinery, associated with the workings of the former brick pond. Of historic interest to the area.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
View on map
1867 The building is the only remaining evidence of the Primitive Methodist movement in Haxby. Its modest proportions indicate the relative poverty of its members. Although large wooden doors have been added the remainder of the building is intact and in good condition. An excellent example of decorative brickwork typical of Primitve chapels. Part of the local street scene.

FULFORD AND HESLINGTON

Site Address Date Description
1 & 2 Woodyard Cottages Main Street, Heslington
View on map
Late 18c Pair of Georgian cottages with 12 & 18 pane sliding sashes on frontage. Contributing to the street scene in a conservation area.
Hawthorne Cottage Heslington Main Street
Heslington
View on map
19c Fine estate house with period additions and original 16 pane sashes to 1st floor frontage. Contributes to the street scene in a conservation area
Keepers Cottage Heslington Main Street
Heslington
View on map
Late 19c Good example of a Victorian estate cottage with original fenestration, contributing to the street scene in a conservation area.
Bridge Farm Heslington Main Street
Heslington
View on map
?18c Traditional Georgian farmhouse with 16 pane sashes to front, contributing to the village street scene within the conservation area.
Memorial Cottages Heslington Main Street
Heslington
View on map
1903 Outstanding example of late Victorian almshouses with very detailed eaves and doors. An important feature of the village street scene.
The Pinfold Heslington 29 Main Street
Heslington
View on map
18 & 19c Fine example of Georgian estate house with original 16 pane sashes to front. Contributing to the street scene in village conservation area.
Vyne Cottage Heslington 30 Main Street
Heslington
View on map
Late 18c Fine example of Georgian estate workers cottages with original 12 and 16 pane sashes to front. Contributing to the street scene in village conservation area.
No 31 & 32 Heslington Main Street
Heslington
View on map
18/19c Traditional terrace of Georgian estate workers cottages with original 12 & 16 pane sashes to front. Contributing to the street scene in village conservation area.
Lowfield House Heslington Common Lane
Heslington
View on map
? early 19c Well preserved Georgian (?) house with original 16 pane sash fenestration to front. Contributing to the street scene in the Southern end of the village conservation area.
No.s 35 & 37 35 Main Street
Heslington
View on map
18c Traditional terrace of cottages with 16 pane sashes to front and contributing to street scene within the village conservation area.
No.s 38 to 40 Main Street
Heslington
View on map
19c Victorian terrace of estate cottages with original sash fenestration, contributing to the village street scene and conservation area.

HEWORTH

Site Address Date Description
Burnholme WMC Burnholme Avenue
View on map
1880’s Built by W G Penty for John Bellerby in the William Morris style.. Extravagant towers, stained glass windows at rear. A fantasy villa situated in the remains of the original grounds. Still well used. Described in Pevsner’s Buildings of York and East Riding. Planning permission to demolish granted August 2013 Demolition started January 2015
Heworth House
View on map
1865 This was the old Heworth Rectory designed by G. Fowler Jones. Representative of a high Victorian Gothic architecture. It has had several changes of use including vehicle driving licence test centre and is now a day nursery, showing its easy adaptability for modern use.

HEWORTH WITHOUT

Site Address Date Description
Brick Pond (Bulmer’s Pond) Willow grove
View on map
1700’s Evidence of early suburban development methods, and now an area of local natural interest and a valuable local nature reserve, with remains of an EH listed wind pump. HER No : MYO656

HOLGATE

Site Address Date Description
Iron Foundries carleton street
View on map
1872/3 Buildings of the Phoenix the Albion Iron Foundries now used as workshops and storage sheds for Network Rail and the Post Office. Buildings date from 1872/3 when the two foundries moved from separate sites in the city centre to adjacent sites close to the North Eastern Railway Company operations. In 1880 the two combined to form the York Engineering Co. The surviving complex consists of six brick buildings which include the office block of the original Albion Works, the foundry, smith’s shop, machine shop and part of an original Phoenix building. The foundries produced a variety of cast and wrought iron components for the construction of the expanding railway infrastructure such as columns, girders, roof trusses for stations and workshops, bridges, lamp standards and so on. The buildings survive as the only significant reminder of a crucial aspect of York’s industrial history. HER No : MY02178 Phoenix foundry demolished Novembe5r 2012
Terrace houses carleton street
View on map
Built to house the workers from the railway iron foundries and workshops
Canteen Building Holgate Road
View on map
1888 Last remaining social building in carriage works complex, interesting architecture including ‘oriel’ windows at either end..
St. Barnabas School Bright Street
View on map
1877 A building with characteristics indicative of its use and time. A landmark building in a sea of terraced houses. Demolished late 2009
Balfour Street Play Area
View on map
1911 Gifted to the City Council by S.A. Rowntree as a green recreation area. It contains a seated garden area and some trees. Used by residents of the gardenless local terrace houses and by children as a peaceful area away from the road.

HUNTINGTON AND NEW EARSWICK

Site Address Date Description
Memorial Hall Huntington 47,Strensall Rod
Huntington
View on map
1921 Purchased by subscription, an aspect of social history, of architectural interest. Managed by trustees and volunteers, an important community asset.
Huntington Community Centre 28 Strensall Road
Huntington
View on map
1877 The Old Board School is one of the oldest public buildings in Huntington. Owned by the Parish Council it is used for a number of activities. Many original features including recently restored stained glass windows.
Cooke Troughton & Simms Factory haxby road
View on map
1939 An iconic example of 1930’s factory design. Their products (gun sights, rangefinders, tank periscopes, etc.) contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany Demolished Nov 2008

MICKLEGATE

Site Address Date Description
Drinking trough Bishopgate Street
View on map
1905 An inscription reads “In memory of Henry Richardson of Cherry Hill, York 1813-1895”. Mr Richardson was proprietor of a tannery on Cherry Hill in the latter half of the 19th Century and a co-founder of York branch of the RSPCA in 1864. In respect of this, on the reverse the inscription reads “A righteous man regarded the life of his beast”. A memorial to a respected pillar of the local community.
Slip Inn Clementhorpe
View on map
1840 This early 19c pub is the last surviving structure relating to the Clementhorpe shipyard. The building incorporates an existing cottage located at the rear of the pub which is also related to the shipyard. The ‘Slip’ is mentioned in Hugh Murray’s book “Directory of York Pubs” as early as 1843 and is still a vital asset to the local community.
The Golden Ball 2 Cromwell Road
View on map
1860c Public house on the corner of Cromwell Road and Victor Street. Built about 1860 but extensively refurbished by John Smith’s Brewery in 1929. It is a valued community resource included because of its social interest as a rare survival of inter-war refurbishment. One of three York pubs on the CAMRA National Inventory. Listed Grade ii in 2010, should not be on the Local List
The Swan 16 Bishopgate Street
View on map
1930’s refurbishment of a local beer house for Tetley’s. Its inter-war layout with central ‘stand-up lobby’ and separate bar and lounge at either end, served from the central servery, is a rare survival. A Tetley Heritage Inn, and one of three York pubs on CAMRA’s National Inventory.
Paved Walkway Terry Avenue
View on map
? 1900 This was a pleasant path laid in diamond pattern sets, right alongside the river at a similar level to the lower path on the opposite bank at New Walk. Bank slippage has obscured much of it and part is concreted over. Part of the New Walk/Terry Avenue Conservation Area.
Railway Institute Buildings Queen Street
View on map
1879 & 1884 Two parallel ranges adjacent to the Railway Institute, constructed as Locomotive Erecting Shops for the North Eastern Railway Company. The block nearest the RI incorporates the remains of a North & North Midlands wagon repair workshop of the 1840s. This was extended in the1850s and a smith’s shop added, to provide workshops for the newly formed North Eastern Railway Company. Around 1884 the building was raised and converted to provide the No.2 Locomotive Erecting Shop where the locomotives were repaired and sometimes constructed. The second block was purpose built as No.1 Locomotive Erecting Shop in 1879.

HOLGATE

Site Address Date Description
Alliance House 156 Holgate Road
Holgate
View on map
Opened 1884 Alliance House is the name given in 1996 to a block of buildings at the N.E. end of the former Carriage Works. Part of the first phase of development of the N.E. Railway's new carriage workshops & designed by their architect William Bell. Originally an extensive general stores, with, at the N. end a 3-storey range for the works offices, the top floor housed the drawing office and was provided with large north-facing windows. The origin stores building was later converted to to house modern offices for the carriage works. The building has high Historical Significance representing a major part of York's heavy industrial history, and a High Communal Significance encompassing an era of more then 150 years during which many York families earned their livelihoods from the construction & maintenance of locomotives, wagons and carriages in the City. HER Monument ref. My 03790

MICKLEGATE

Site Address Date Description
Railway Institute 22 Queen Street
View on map
1889 York Railway Institute built in 1889, “to convey information and spread education on a variety of subjects”. From the beginning, it has offered educational facilities for railway employees and has fulfilled a social and welfare function by providing accommodation for a wide range of recreational activities, associations and clubs. It is included because of its unbroken connection with the railway history of York and for its important contribution to the education and wellbeing of the railway work force and the wider public in York. Almost contemporary with the building of the present York railway station, it forms an important part of the setting of this grade II* listed building.
Ivy Cottage Queen Street
View on map
Between 1875 & 1892 Shunter's cabin associated with the use of the Old Railway Station for carriage storage after 1877, and later the locking fitter's cabin. With the Old Railway Station it is indicative of the alignment of the original railway and reflects later arrangements after the construction of the New Station. Together they have Medium evidential & Low Historical significance.
Park Keeper's Lodge and Cafe Richardson Street
View on map
1919/21 Probably designed by Fred Rowntree who made the plan for the layout of the Park. The building occupies a prominent position from where the resident park-keeper was able to supervise activities in the Park. Together with the nearby bridge over the lake and the dovecote memorial, the Lodge creates an important group forming the nucleus of the Park.
Dovecote Terry Avenue
View on map
1921 Part of the group with the park-keepers Lodge and Café, and the Bridge at the core of the Park. The Dovecote contains two memorial plaques. One commemorates the gift of the Park to the citizens of York by the Rowntree Cocoa Works “as a tribute to the memory of those of the Company’s staff who servrd their country in her hour of need” during the First World War. The second one records the gift of the gates on Terry Avenue as a memorial to “those from the Cocoa Works who lost their lives in the Second World War”. It is occupied by a flock of white doves descended from the first doves introduced in 1921.
Bridge over the Lake Terry Avenue
View on map
1921 Together with the Lodge, Café and Dovecote, it forms an important group of structures at the core of the Park
Knavesmire Glass 88a South Bank Avenue
View on map
1900 The existing building has a memorial stone of 1900 dating from the time it was constructed as the South Bank Mission Chapel. This was an outreach centre from the larger church of St. Clements , Scarcroft Road. It was a multi purpose building functioning as a place of worship before the construction of St. Chad’s (1925/6), as a temporary school by 1906 and a Sunday School 1931. Similar in style and materials to St. Clements though plainer with simpler detailing. The building has local historical significance as an indicator of the early 20th century development of South Bank. Architecturally it is a typical building of its age, with some attractive design touches. More importantly it adds variety and depth to a context of terraced housing. A significant building of local visual, historical and architectural interest.

ACOMB

Site Address Date Description
Carlton Tavern York Road
Acomb
View on map
Late 1880's Victorian villa named West Garth originally owned by the Russell family. From 1945 to 1970 it was the Godfrey Walker Children's Home. It became a hotel and in 1993 was bought by Marston's Brewery when it became a public house. One of very few remaining buildings from this era in Acomb. Architecturaly impressive. Its loss would diminish the character of the area.

HOLGATE

Site Address Date Description
Upper St Paul's Play Area Upper St Paul's Terrace
Holgate
View on map
1970's Garden and play area of about 1/2 acre created in the 1970's by CYC after housing within the Clearance Area was demolished, to balance a lack of green space within the area. It was given open space approval in December 1979. Maintained by local residents with Council help. Funded by both Ward and local donations it is used for social and recreational purposes, particularly by children. Events such as basketball, picnics, scarecrow competitions are held there and it is also used by the local school. On City of York asset register property ref.200004776489

MICKLEGATE

Site Address Date Description
Church Hall Bishophill Junior
View on map
Possibly 1880 One of an attractive group of three buildings (St. Mary’s Church and The Vicarage are the others), with red brick walls and grey slate roof. Variously used as a Church Hall, Sunday School and more recently Dance Academy. Mary Mac’s as it was known for many years became a favourite meeting spot for young people, often resulting in life long partnerships. Now converted to a private house. Architect possibly James Dermaine
Boundary Stone
View on map
Pre 1852 Magnesian limestone, possibly once inscribed near the corner of the Marriot Hotel boundary wall. Other boundary stones in the vicinity are EH listed.
Gate and Fence, Herdsman's Cottage Knavesmire Road
View on map
c1830 Remains of the original fence and gateposts at this EH listed building. In place before Knavesmire Road was opened.
Flight of steps with railings and posts
View on map
Part of the access route from Nunnery Lane through Scarcroft Green and the allotments to the Knavesmire. They have survived the introduction of the cycle route
Former WWll Air Raid Shelter Albemarle Road
View on map
c1939 A reminder of the last War and one of very few remaining. Now used as a cricket pavilion and changing room and therefore serving a useful role for the community.
Royal Observer Corps Building Knavesmire Road
View on map
1943 Brick built used by the Observer Corps from 1943 to 1961. A relic of the last war and the Cold War. Now useful to the community as a sports changing room. HER No 2193 Under threat of demolition 2013. Demolished late 2015
Water Trough
View on map
19c A relic of the times when horses and cattle grazed this part of Knavesmire. There is no inscription on it.

OSBALDWICK AND DERWENT

Site Address Date Description
The Magnet Hotel
View on map
1934 Public house, built in 1934 John Smith’s Brewery architect Sir Bertram Wilson. Nominated for the Local List by CAMRA because it is the best surviving example in York of an inter-war ‘Improved’ pub, purpose-built to serve the surrounding new housing estate. CAMRA comment that the snug has its original furniture and is largely unaltered; the Bar notably retains its arched back fitting and bench seating; while the Lounge, though altered, retains original woodwork beneath modern veneer. Also of particular interest is a glazed dividing screen and tilework to an obsolete outsales, and tilework in the Gents toilet.

RURAL WEST YORK

Site Address Date Description
5 cottages Buttacre Lane Buttacre Lane
Askham Richard
View on map
19c Housed agricultural tradesmen serving villages four farms. Blacksmith etc.
Dovecote, Old Barn
View on map
Dovecote in the gable end of the Old Barn. Dated to late 19thC early 20thC. It survives complete and retains its interior with nesting boxes intact. Included in the Local List as a rare survival of a one common component of a fully developed farmstead. As a feature in the farmyard, it is much valued by residents in the village.
Tap Room Main Street
Askham Richard
View on map
Roof supported by 4 pillars over tap (originally pump) on village green erected by the owner of Askham Grange.
Wall beside barn, Prospect Farm, Mill Lane
View on map
? 18C Typical example of its type, would have been common to the area but now increasingly rare. Coarse cobble layers with herringbone laid bricks topped by rounded coping stones.
School House
View on map
1900c House of unusual style built at the same time as the school to house the Headmistress. Part of the Social History of the village.
Methodist Chapel
View on map
1860 Was an integral part of village life until July 1981. It was bought by the owner of an adjoining house and renovated for use as a private games room in 1998. There is a stipulation that it cannot be used as a private dwelling

COPMANTHORPE

Site Address Date Description
Crossing Keepers Cottage
View on map
1860’s Preserving a remnant of railway history and the village’s links with the development of the railway network.
Station House & Engine Shop
View on map
1860’s A remnant of railway history and the villages’ links with the railway network.
Barn
View on map
18 &19C Preserving an interesting example of 18th & 19th century brickwork within one building. The 18thC pantiled roof and wall visible from Back Lane is part of the street scene. Forms part of a bat flight-path.
Blows Cottages Church Street
Copmanthorpe
View on map
1826 The last surviving example of typical farm workers cottages existing in the village and forming part of the Low Green area. Brick and pantile
Croft House Farmhouse
View on map
Circa 1740 Possibly of Listed Building status? A fine example of a farmhouse of this era and an integral part of the Low Green area.
Women's Institute Station Road
Copmanthorpe
View on map
1927/8 As the meeting place for the W.I., village playgroup, drama group etc., it is an important venue for village activities. It plays a vital part in village life.
Gazebo 25 Station Road
Copmanthorpe
View on map
Circa 1900 An unusual folly forming an attractive garden feature visible from the road and therefore part of the local street scene. ? Is this still standing
Front Boundary Wall Main Street
Copmanthorpe
View on map
Early 18C A garden wall which is part of the street scene in a Conservation Area. The house is listed.
School House Farm
View on map
18C A fine example of an 18C dwelling house which stands in the heart of the village Conservation Area.
Royal Oak Public House 1 Main Street
Copmanthorpe
View on map
Circa 1800 A good example of a typical English pub. Too many of which are being lost. Former uses were as the village smithy and a brew house which together form the original village core.
Old Vicarage
View on map
Mid 19C Fine example of a Victorian residence, probably the best preserved old building in the village

RURAL WEST YORK

Site Address Date Description
Methodist Chapel Main Street
Hessay
View on map
1829c Small building 1828/9 with small schoolroom added later. Interior practically unaltered. Now the only place availble for village meetings and valued because of this
Pinfold Main Street
Knapton
View on map
Brick built historic construction in an old farming village
Dodsworth Hall Millfield Lane
Nether Poppleton
View on map
1850 Originally a school opened by the Dodsworth Trust. John Dodsworth was an iron merchant in York, City Councillor for Walmgate Ward, and Sheriff of York, 1787/8. He lived in Poppleton and was best known as a founder of schools. When a new school was built in 1894 the Hall was used as a Sunday School and until recently a village hall much appreciated by the people of Poppleton. It is now a children’s nursery.
War Memorial Main Street, Nether Poppleton
View on map
1945/50 A constructed pile of uncut stone with bronze name plaque sited above the river. This unusual style is one of only two in the country. It is part of the Village history and the focal point for Remembrance Day Part of the village street scene..
East View wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Mid/late 1800’s One of two distinctive square farm houses built by the Middlewoods and adding character to the village scene.
Rufforth Hall wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
1860 Land purchased by George Middlewood 13 Feb 1855. This large imposing house was a family home until 1919 then sold to Captain Dorrien Smith. Home to a series of senior military officers to 1976. now in private hands. From the 1970's to the 1990's it was the General Accident Sports 7 Social Club.
Rufforth Village Hall Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
1915 Built by Emma Middlewood for use as a village hall. In a prominent position in the village and well used by numerous local clubs and societies. A community asset.
Rufforth Village Old School Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
1870 Alongside the Village Hall. Built by Public Subscription. Brick with a slate roof, like the Hall it is held for the village by Trustees and run by a management committee. A social amenity well used by the village community
Village Garden Willow Garth Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Post War Set out to replicate the wartime Rufforth airfield used by Halifax bombers. It includes a water pump and trough which are already listed.
The Tankard Inn Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Early 19c The only public house in the village it was remodelled in 1937 for Samuel Smith’s Brewery by Leeds architect H Lane Fox. The central corridor was enlarged into a Public Bar and a ‘Tudor’ interior of modest design and homeliness. Matching , 3-light leaded windows in both the Public Bar and Lounge set the thirties tone. The wood panelling, bench seating, curving bar counter and contempory doors, most elements of the pre-War refurbishment are carefully preserved. A community asset.
Red Telephone Box Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
1935 A cherished feature of Rufforth village, complimenting the Village Garden and pump. A fine example of a K6 design rapidly disappearing from the English street scene.
Village Pond and surrounding trees Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
c 1795 Awarded to the village by the introduction of the Enclosures Act for use as a watering place. Possibly originally a fording place, (Ruff Ford) Restored in 2002 with funding from Yorwaste and help from BTCV.
Pinfold Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
? 18th C A surviving relic of Rufforth’s early years as a farming village. Wandering stock were held here until farmers paid a fine to get their animals back.
Crofts Farm House Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Late 1800’s Possibly the best example of a Victorian farmhouse in the village .It dominates the façade along the East side of the villages main street and compliments the buildings on either side, enhancing the street scene.
Ashville Farmhouse Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
1830 Probably the oldest example of a Victorian farmhouse in the village. Together with Crofts Farmhouse it is a striking feature of the Main Street scene.
Manor Farm and Outbuildings Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Mid/late 1800’s A fine and rare example of a traditional Victorian farmhouse and its associated brick built barn and stable block.
Church Farm Cottage Rufforth Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Approx 1900 A very fine example of a Victorian farm cottage, with red pantile roof. Once the site of the village Post Office.
The Laurels Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Approx 1900 The first photographic evidence of this building is dated 1904. It is said to be built from the limestone arising from the demolition of Rufforth windmill which was situated near Rufforth Hall. Rumour says the windmill spoiled Mrs Middlewood’s view.
Peartree Farm Barn Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Mid/late 1800’s A Tadcaster limestone built barn. Part of the farm buildings of the EH listed Peartree Farm. Built following the repeal of the Corn Laws.
Railway Station and Signal Box Station Road
Poppleton
View on map
1848 (Station), c.1870 (Signal Box) A perfect and now rare example of a North Eastern Railway station, signal box and semaphore signal, complete with hand operated crossing gates which adds to the rural feel of the village. Under threat as it is now rail policy to abolish all manned level crossings.(2013)
Poppleton Villa low pooppleton lane
nupper poppleton
View on map
1859 Former farm (1810) extended to accommodate a collection of paintings for John Burton many of which were bequeathed to the City and now hang in the Art Gallery in Exhibition Square. Sir Robert Newbold Kay, Lord Mayor of York 1924/25 was also associated with the building. Home to the first pre school Play Group in York in 1964.

RAWCLIFFE AND CLIFTON WITHOUT

Site Address Date Description
Hospital Chapel Fylingdale Avenue
Clifton
View on map
1873 A chapel built for the use of patients in the North Riding Asylum by architects Gould & Fisher, described in The British Architect journal 1874 as "A handsome and convenient chapel" Damaged during WW2, some fittings and the East window were replaced and re-dedicated 1948-1950. An important landmark across the flat lands of the ings.
Pavilion Cottages
View on map
A pair of cottages combined with cricket pavilion. They were constructed as part of the Clifton Hospital facilities, providing a pavilion for the Hospital cricket team and residential accommodation for staff. Included on the Local List as a rare and unusual example of a hybrid sports facility and their interest and place in the story of the development of sports facilities and structures.

STRENSALL

Site Address Date Description
The Fox Inn The Village
Stockton on the Forest
View on map
Last remaining 'pub' in the village on a site which has housed an inn for over 150 years. The original small building is still identifiable. There is an interesting range of out buildings. It provides the village with much needed social amenities. Boarded up and in danger of demolition Nov. 2012

YORK GENERAL

Site Address Date Description
Back alleys
View on map
Hexagonal pattern, stable block paving (slag paviours made from colliery waste and believed to be unique to York) with central drainage channel behind many terraced houses in various parts of the City. In danger of being dug up or covered with tarmac.

STRENSALL

Site Address Date Description
Strensall signal box Lords Moor Lane
Strensall
View on map
c 1846 A remnant of early railway history and the village's links with the railway network. Still fully operational

RURAL WEST YORK

Site Address Date Description
Rufforth Manor Wetherby Road
Rufforth
View on map
Mid 1800's Large Victorian Manor House. A fine buildingwhichreplaced Pear Tree Farm as the "Manor". Donated by village benefactors, Misses Middlewood to York Diocese c1895 for use as a vicarage.
K6 Telephone kiosk The Green
Upper Poppleton
View on map
An integral and historic part of the landscape of this conservation area. Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935.

STRENSALL

Site Address Date Description
Telephone kiosk Junction of York Road & Church Lane
Strensall
View on map
1935 The red kiosk is a village landmark and is an example of a design that is becoming increasingly rare. There was another kiosk adjacent to the village playing field, but this was removed some time ago.
St. Mary's Hall 1 Churh Lane
Strensall
View on map
1823 This was Strensall's first Methodist Chapel, becoming a community hall 1895 and renamed St. Mary's Hall. It was converted to domestic use in 1922 but has been unoccupied for several years. The building situated within Strensall's conservation area is of significant historic interest.

FULFORD AND HESLINGTON

Site Address Date Description
46 & 47 Main Street Main Street
Heslington
View on map
19c Pair of cottages
The Deramore Arms Main Street
Heslington
View on map
Well preserved and fine example of Edwardian Public House, of clamp brick construction with overhanging eaves & soffits, leaded casement windows with arched brick lintels. Contributing to the street scene within the village Conservsation Area.
Rose Villa Main Street
Heslington
View on map
19c Well preserved Victorian villa with 16 pane sash windows to front, 2 dormers with Yorkshire slide sashes, ornate Victorian portico and panelled door. Contributes to the street scene in a Conservation area.
Home Farm Main Street
Heslington
View on map
19c Former village farmhouse fronting onto Main Street and contributing to the street scene in a conservation area.
Woodyard Farmhouse & Woodyard Barn Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
19c Pair of small brick cottages with original style Yorkshire-light windows and 16 pane sash windows to end, roadside elevation.Contributing to the street scene in a conservation area.
Rose Cottage Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
19c Attractively frontaged Georgian cottage with 6 panel door with leaded portico and transome. Contributing to the street scene in a Consevation Area.
Sycamore Cottage Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
19c Former Victorian estate worker's cottage fronting onto street and contributing to the street scene in a Conservation Area.
Eden's Cottage Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
18c Georgian, former estate workers cottage (formerly a pair) fronting onto street. Clamp brick construction with some original fenestration to frontage. Contributing to the street scene in a Conservation Area.
Walnut Farm Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
Early 19c Georgian brick built farmhouse with 6 panel door with ornate transom and 16 pane sash windows to front. Contributing to the street scene in a Conservation Area.
Dalham House Main Street (West)
Heslington
View on map
Early 19c Georgian brick built farmhouse with Victorian additions and 16 pane Georgian style sash windows to front. A key building at entrance to to the village contributing to the street scene in a conservation area.

GUILDHALL

Site Address Date Description
RCAF buildings St Mary's Lodge, Marygate
View on map
1942/1944 A rare survival of a WW II building constructed for military use still in existence in an urban setting. Built during the later part of of the Second World War as a service hostel for the Canadian Air Force who were based at local airfields. Soon after the war it was used part of the Emergency Teacher Training programme. It then became the Marygate Centre for further education with an emphasis on teaching women and girls-'Homecraft' & 'Housecrafts' seem to have been popular in the late 1940's & 50's. It remained in educational use until the 1970's and was later used as storage by the Yorkshire Museum. This side of York's wartime history and the aftermath deserves more local recognition. Currently in the care of the York Museums Trust. Demolished March 2012

MICKLEGATE

Site Address Date Description
Part of wall Clementhorpe, Cherry Street corner.
View on map
1130 to 1536 Rubble limestone wall incorporating brick fragments approx. 1.5 metres high and 7.25 metres long. Probably part of the cloister range of the Benedictine Order Clementhorpe Nunnery founded by Archbishop Thurston between 1125 and 1133. The Nunnery was dissolved in 1536 and the buildings passed into secular hands. Contemporary sketches show some buildings surviving in 1705 and 1825 but all were finally demolished by 1873. This fragment of wall excavated in 1976/7 is the only surviving evidence of the Nunnery which perpetuates the Anglo Saxon name of the locality before the Conquest. See 'The History of Clementhorpe Nunnery' R.B. Dobson & S.Donaghy, 1984, York Archaeological Trust

HOLGATE

Site Address Date Description
The Bullnose Building Leeman Road
View on map
1876 Originally the office of the North Eastern Railway Company Coal Manager and later of the Locomotive Superintendent. It has high Historical Significance for its visual and functional association with the former Goods Station, now the National Railway Museum, and adjacent horse stables
Railway Stables Leeman Road, York
View on map
1900 The existence of these stables is a reminder of the major role played by horses on the railway and in towns. This extremely rare survival of a large stable range is illustrative of its original function despite later conversion to other uses. They have a visual and functional group value with the old Goods Station, now the National Railway Museum, and the adjacent Coal Manager's office. Of High Historical & Evidential Significance.

GUILDHALL

Site Address Date Description
The Punch Bowl 134 Lowther Street
York
View on map
c1838 Believed to have been a later 19th Century remodelling of two terrace houses built by 1838 appearing on the 1852 OS map. The Punch Bowl is an interesting landmark building which makes a significant contribution to area character and townscape at this nodal location. Its "Dutch" style end gabling and matching scrolled parapet to the main frontage making it architecturally distinctive. It is, moreover, a much valued community asset.

FULFORD AND HESLINGTON

Site Address Date Description
The Saddle Inn 37 Main Street
Fulford
View on map
End 19c early 20c The Saddle is an important visual element in the varied historic townscape of Fulford, recognised for its positive contribution to area character in the Fulford Conservation Area. It is an attractive example of a turn of the century public house, purpose designed & built for the Tadcaster Tower Brewery Co.(Probably by local architect Samuel Needham). It is also a much valued community asset.

GUILDHALL

Site Address Date Description
Former fire station Clfford Street
View on map
1855/1938 Sympathetic re-use of chapel converted to fire station, this brick and stone building having now served the community for over 150 years The chapel, formerly a Methodist 'New Connection' building demonstrates an aspect of York's religious history. Designed by J.B.& W. Atkinson, Architects, opened in 1855 and converted in 1938. The Peckitt Street aspect is of considerable architectural interest which is not intrusive in its setting. .

RURAL WEST YORK

Site Address Date Description
Lord Nelson Public House Main Street
Nether Poppleton
View on map
17c 2 storey building, once a farm house
The old Vicarage 11 Church Lane,
Nether Poppleton
View on map
17c Full description required
Village Pond 11 Church Lane
Nether Poppleton
View on map
Not Known Part of the Old Manor farm yard